GCSE Computer Science comprises a rich, knowledge-based curriculum. This CPD equips you with effective teaching strategies to build student knowledge for long-term recall, leading to confidence in assessments. During the residential you’ll explore those pedagogy approaches which are proven to be the most successful, applying them to the specific context and challenges of GCSE computer science.
Guided by an experienced teaching practitioner, and alongside other teachers undertaking similar challenges, you’ll become better able to plan and deliver impactful lessons that effectively balance classroom and at-screen activities.
You’ll dive deep into teaching and learning by exploring engaging ways to deliver theory lessons, including how to deepen student understanding. You'' explore how to teach programming through a wide variety of programming pedagogies.
The residential is based on firm evidence and experience, and will guide you to develop an understanding of what works best in the context of your own school.
Over this two day residential, you’ll explore a wide range of different topics, you’ll complete the following two courses:
• Teaching GCSE computer science – developing knowledge and understanding
• Teaching GCSE computer science – pedagogy for programming
You'll participate in live face-to-face CPD at the National STEM Learning Centre in York. You'll take-away ready-to-use and successful teaching approaches from experienced teachers, supported by the latest research and evidence.
This is a residential course at the National STEM Learning Centre, York. Meals and overnight accommodation are included for participants for the duration of the course.
If you wish to extend your stay in York, bed and breakfast will be available at the centre’s on-site accommodation at a discounted rate of £45+VAT per night. You can email [email protected] to secure this rate, providing their course booking information and confirming the night(s) they would like to stay.
Who is it for?
This course is for secondary teachers of computer science, including those aspiring to deliver GCSE computer science.
● Developing knowledge and understanding – during this day of the residential you’ll explore strategies to support the teaching of GCSE theory, strategies to build deeper student understanding and effective action planning in the classroom.
● Pedagogy for programming – during the second day, you’ll explore various programming pedagogies to engage students, build resilience, self-regulation and independence.
How long is this course?
This residential is two days in duration, you’ll complete approx. 12 hours of CPD.
How will you learn?
Hands-on experiential learning with the collaborative support of your peers. You’ll receive expert advice and instruction from experienced classroom practitioners.
By the end of this CPD package you will:
- explore various teaching strategies that can be used to deliver theory topics in the classroom
- understand the importance of threshold concepts and how different teaching methods can deepen student understanding
- layer excellent pedagogy on top of your subject knowledge, helping you support improved student outcomes
- explore programming frameworks and how these can be used to plan effective lessons in computer programming
- understand how different practical programming activities can be used to develop student knowledge and engagement with programming
- learn how different strategies can be used to improve student resilience, self-regulation and independence when programming