Getting started in year 5 - short course
CP460 Live remote training course
A comprehensive look at how to teach computing in Year 5 using the Teach Computing Curriculum.Skip to course booking
This course provides a comprehensive look at how to teach computing in Year 5 using the Teach Computing Curriculum. You will be guided through the topics and skills taught at Year 5 and understand how they fit into the wider Teach Computing Curriculum. You will also have a go at many of the activities that you will teach your class and discuss the practicalities of running them in your setting. Designed for any teacher who would like the confidence to teach Year 5 computing effectively in their own classroom. You’ll take-away a full computing curriculum package ready-to-teach and will learn how to further develop your capability in this exciting and vital subject.
Who is it for?
Year 5 classroom teachers
- computer systems and networks finding out how information is transferred between systems and devices
- using a data base to store and retrieve information
- creating media by exploring vector drawing
- programming using selection in scratch to create quizzes
How long is this course?
This course is approximately three hours in duration, split across 2 sessions with a short gap task.
How will you learn?
Remotely delivered sessions online and a short gap task.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise the content and structure of the Teach Computing Curriculum in Year 5
- Gain confidence through hand-on experience of Teach Computing curriculum lesson materials
- Understand how this content fits into the Teach Computing Curriculum across the whole primary age range
- Identify how the curriculum may be adapted to the context of own school
Book this course
You need to be logged in to start the course.
Not got a STEM Learning account?
Create an account
Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing
Develop an evidence-informed approach to education recovery over a sustained period, securing the computing education of young people following a period of great disruption.
An Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in computer science - remote
Create some simple block-based computer programs and discover how to implement them in the text based language Python.
An introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science - remote
Learn about the different components of computer hardware, including devices not instantly recognisable as computers.