In this lesson the learners will be introduced to variables as well as the opportunity to get more confident with sequences. The lesson will start with a story that includes variables; learners have to replace the variable names with the values they refer to when they reach the relevant places in the story. Learners will then be given a Scratch program where they will work in pairs to predict, run, investigate, and modify. The lesson will conclude with an activity requiring the learners to trace the value of a variable in an algorithm.
- Define a variable as a name that refers to data being stored by the computer
- Recognise that computers follow the control flow of input/process/output
- Predict the outcome of a simple sequence that includes variables
- Trace the values of variables within a sequence
- Make a sequence that includes a variable