Subject knowledge certificate
Certificate awarded by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
Computer Science Accelerator is a professional development programme for teachers, funded by the Department for Education, leading to a national certificate in computer science subject knowledge.
The programme will help you develop or refresh your subject knowledge up to GCSE, with funding available for state-funded schools and colleges to support classroom cover.
Who is eligible?
- current and aspiring computing teachers
- suitable for all abilities, from little or no experience in teaching computer science to experienced teachers looking to deepen their subject knowledge
How do I get started?
Choose a pathway
Are you an aspiring computer science teacher, or are you unsure which courses support your development objectives? Our learning pathways are designed for teachers at different levels and provide a set of recommended courses to help you get started.
- New to computing PDF
- New to algorithms and programming PDF
- New to computer systems PDF
- Preparing to teach GCSE computer science PDF
- Advanced GCSE Computer Science PDF
You can also tailor your learning, selecting from our wide range of courses to increase your subject knowledge.
This may be a good option if you are self-motivated and already have a good understanding of computer science.Browse our courses
How much does it cost?
There are no fees to pay for teachers in England who work in state-funded schools and colleges and trainee teachers, supply teachers or teachers returning to the state sector.
If you are a teacher working in state-funded education, you will also be eligible to apply for a subsidy to support supply cover for professional development, paid to your school or college.
Enrol on the programme
- Enrol with the click of a button
- Complete a questionnaire to assess your subject knowledge
- Participate in a mix of courses to suit your experience
- Pass a short test to receive your qualification
“We’re teaching kids to use technologies that don’t exist yet for problems that they don’t know. It’s going to be a completely different world when they leave school.”
“The hard work paid off and studying has made me feel confident teaching computer science. I’m now part of an exciting future.”
“I definitely feel more confident as I have picked up a range of skills and techniques that I will be able to use within my classroom and also to enhance my subject knowledge.”
Computer science teacher