Introduction to primary computing
Computing in primary schools is a practical, creative and knowledge-rich subject. This course provides teachers with the knowledge and confidence to get started on the journey to outstanding computing in your school, whether you’re a subject coordinator or another interested teacher.
This CPD helps teachers to understand the nature of computing in the curriculum; the breadth and depth of computer science, digital literacy and information technology. You’ll gain hands-on experience of teaching different aspects of computing, evaluating high-quality resources that can be used in your classroom. You’ll also begin to develop your knowledge of computer programming, and its teaching in key stages 1 and 2. There’s a wide network of teacher communities, resources and professional development opportunities to take you further in the teaching of computing – this course will guide you towards the most reliable and accessible sources of help.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates publised for each course instance.
Who is it for?
New subject coordinators of primary computing, as well as other teachers interested in integrating computing into their classroom teaching.
01 | What is computing? Understand computing as a subject, a future career path, and a set of critical skills for modern life. Consider what outstanding teaching of computing for all should look like.
02 | The computing curriculum. Consider computing teaching and progression in your classroom, and evaluate a range of high quality resources to help you develop towards outstanding learning.
03 | Getting started with teaching primary programming. Understand how computational thinking underpins learning of computer programming, and how algorithms form the basis of all programs – using programmable toys and free online tools.
04 | You don’t need to know everything! Navigate confidently through the vast range of support and resources available to help you develop your teaching of computing.
How will you learn?
- Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner.
- Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
How long is the course?
This course is approximately six hours in duration, split across several days.
Other primary computing CPD
Primary programming and algorithms
Teaching and leading key stage 1 computing (module 1)
Teaching and leading key stage 2 computing (module 1)
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools
- Understand the computing curriculum, describing a subject rich in knowledge and skill development.
- Develop an understanding of high-quality computing education in the context of your own school.
- Gain practical experience of teaching and learning in computing, including introductory computer programming using popular devices and tools.
- Be confident in the next steps to develop the teaching of computing, supported by a network of peers and a range of high-quality resources.