Teaching key stage 2 computing - module 2 - remote
CP453 Live remote training course
This course aims to deepen understanding of the subject knowledge and pedagogy needed to effectively teach the computing curriculum in KS2.Skip to course booking
This CPD follows on from the first module to fully cover the KS2 computing curriculum. Skilfully combining a wide range of software applications and multimedia such as video, images and sound, you will be better able to support children in creative and engaging project work across the whole primary curriculum. They will develop their ability to select the right tool for the job, then use them in a considered, effective way.
This will lead towards a project combining a range of skills based on collecting, analysing and presenting data. This maps closely to the expectations of the maths curriculum.
Who is it for?
Key stage 2 teachers looking to develop their understanding of computing and how to teach it within KS2.
- 01 | What is computing in KS2? Develop your knowledge of the aims of the Computing Curriculum and it’s importance to young people. in KS2. Explore the pedagogy that underpins computing and how this relates to teaching at Key Stage 2
- 02 | Computer systems and networks– Improve your understanding of curriculum content and vocabulary of what children should know about computers, computer networks and the internet. Learn about how data is transmitted between computers and how web services work, such as search engines and the World Wide Web.
- 03 | Developing computational thinking - Develop your understanding of ’Computational Thinking’ and how this may be developed in the classroom. Explore algorithms and their importance as a precursor to programming.
- 04 | Developing programming in KS2 Understand the progression of programming in KS2. Explore block-based programming through activities linking back to the curriculum.
How long is this course?
This course is approximately 5 hours in duration, split across several sessions.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner. Flexible Professional Development Leader-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content and development of skills.
- Develop your subject knowledge and teaching approaches to help children
- Learn through projects and lessons where they collect and share data through surveys and investigations
- Create digital content such as images, video and sound in multimedia projects
This course is part of Teach primary computing
Teach primary computing
Our nationally recognised qualification will support you to demonstrate your commitment to developing your own practice and to computing as a school subject.
Dates coming soon
Contact your local Computing Hub for more informationFind your local Hub
Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing
Develop an evidence-informed approach to education recovery over a sustained period, securing the computing education of young people following a period of great disruption.
An Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in computer science - remote
Create some simple block-based computer programs and discover how to implement them in the text based language Python.
An introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science - remote
Learn about the different components of computer hardware, including devices not instantly recognisable as computers.