Through Key Stage 2, the computing curriculum aims to deepen understanding of computer science, information technology and digital literacy. Children become more skilled, and critical, users of technology, choosing tools that helps them achieve their goals while developing safe, and acceptable, online behaviours.
This CPD, the first of two modules, seeks to broaden your understanding across the whole computing curriculum. You will demystify computers, developing understanding of data fundamentals such as binary, and learning how the parts of a computer system handle this data to carry out useful tasks. You will strengthen your knowledge of computer networks, including the internet and technologies such as search engines and email that make use of it.
Who is it for?
Key stage 2 teachers looking to develop their understanding of computing and how to teach it within KS2.
• 01 | What is computing in KS2? - Develop your knowledge of the aims of the Computing Curriculum and it’s importance to young people. in KS2. Explore the pedagogy that underpins computing and how this relates to teaching at Key Stage 2
• 02 | Computer systems and networks – Improve your understanding of curriculum content and vocabulary of what children should know about computers, computer networks and the internet. Learn about how data is transmitted between computers and how web services work, such as search engines and the World Wide Web.
• 03 | Developing computational thinking - Develop your understanding of ’Computational Thinking’ and how this may be developed in the classroom. Explore algorithms and their importance as a precursor to programming.
• 04 | Developing programming in KS2 - Understand the progression of programming in KS2. Explore block-based programming through activities linking back to the curriculum.
How long is this course?
This course is approximately 5 hours in duration, split across several sessions.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner. Flexible Professional Development Leader-supported, participant-led sessions, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
- Develop your subject knowledge and teaching approaches to help children
- Understand how computers work, their constituent parts and the instructions they follow
- Recognise the many types of computer system in the world around them, making purposeful and safe use of them
- Consider their own use of technology, the benefits and risks that it brings, and know its importance in the world and their learning through development of your own subject knowledge, pedagogy and practice