Getting started with Python programming – short course
CP351 Live remote training course
Start your journey to becoming a Python programmer . This short course will introduce you to the three main programming constructs.Skip to course booking
This short course will introduce you to the text-based programming language, Python. During the 90 minutes, you’ll be introduced to the three programming constructs, sequencing, selection and iteration. You’ll have the opportunity to investigate, run and modify existing programs, whilst being supported by an experienced Professional Development Leader. If you’re new to text-based programming, this course will support you take your first steps to becoming a programmer.
During the session, you’ll also be introduced to the new, Isaac GCSE computer science platform. You’ll be guided with a live demonstration on how the platform can support both you and your students with programming; and how to use the platform in the classroom to support student understanding, with both programming and the wider GCSE curriculum.
This short course forms part of the Computer Science Accelerator programme, however, it won’t count as one of the prerequisites to achieve the certificate.
Who is it for?
This short course is for prospective teachers of Key Stage 3 / 4 computing who may be new to the subject, or have little to no programming experience.
- Getting started with Python programming – this session will introduce you to Python programming, you’ll explore how sequencing, selection and iteration is used to construct programs. You’ll be provided with code snippets, and be supported to investigate, run and modify the programs to fulfil a brief.
- Introduction to Isaac GCSE computer science – this session will introduce you to the new, Isaac GCSE platform. In particular, you’ll be shown how the programming section can support with subject knowledge and how to use the platform in the classroom.
How long is this course?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced professional development leader.
How will you learn?
This course includes one session, running for a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Become familiar with the Python programming language
- Understand how sequencing, selection and iteration can be used to develop programs
- Run, investigate and modify existing programs to fulfil a brief
- Explore the Isaac GCSE computer science platform
Dates coming soon
Contact your local Computing Hub for more informationFind your local Hub
Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing
Develop an evidence-informed approach to education recovery over a sustained period, securing the computing education of young people following a period of great disruption.
An Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in computer science - remote
Create some simple block-based computer programs and discover how to implement them in the text based language Python.
An introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science - remote
Learn about the different components of computer hardware, including devices not instantly recognisable as computers.