Designed for teachers who have already taught some computing, including at key stage 3. The ‘preparing to teach GCSE computer science’ track will support you with the development of subject knowledge to meet the requirements of GCSE computer science.
The ‘CSA in the summer’ CPD package will provide you with the opportunity to upskill your subject knowledge, up to GCSE level. Completing this track will lead towards recognised certification. You'll be supported along the way by experienced teaching professionals, among a group of your peers. You'll participate in live face to face CPD and mentored online CPD on-demand.
By engaging with this CPD, you'll become confident in supporting students of GCSE computer science, including those currently studying the subject and the highest achievers. You'll take-away ready-to-use and successful teaching approaches from experienced teachers, supported by the latest research and evidence.
This CPD package includes three courses:
- Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration
- The internet and cyber-security
- Representing algorithms using flowcharts and pseudocode
Who is it for?
This CPD is intended for teachers who have already taught key stage 3 computing and want to improve their subject knowledge to meet the requirements of GCSE computer science. Prior knowledge of the computing curriculum would be beneficial to access this CPD.
How will you learn?
Hands-on experiential learning with the collaborative support of your peers. Expert advice and instruction on the GCSE curriculum and the expectations of a computer science teacher, from experienced classroom practitioners.
How long is the course?
You’ll complete three courses from the Computer Science Accelerator programme, totalling approximately 15 hours, split across three days.
Online courses are also available free of charge, these are available to complete before, alongside or after the remote courses. You can find out more information about associated online courses via the CSA in the summer blog.
By the end of this CPD package you will be able to:
Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection and iteration
- Develop some basic program constructs using variables, handling user input and output to the screen
- Follow the flow of a program, identifying values held in variables at different stages of execution
- Create and control indefinite loop structures in programs
The internet and cyber security:
- Understand the IP address system, MAC addressing, and how both allow effective networking of hardware devices.
- Learn how the Domain Name System (DNS) helps humans to interact with the internet devices. Develop a conceptual understanding of the TCP/IP stack, and the protocols that support frictionless communication between machines.
- Develop an understanding of the main internet security threats, including those that manipulate machines and those that manipulate humans.
Representing algorithms using flowcharts and pseudocode:
- Learn the key building blocks of algorithms to be executed using a computer
- Analyse problems and design algorithmic solutions
- Represent algorithms using pseudocode and flowcharts
- Gain confidence in tracing and improving algorithms