This summer school is intended to help trainee teachers/teachers who already have some experience in computer science to further their knowledge and confidence in preparation for teaching at a key stage 4 level.
The summer school will consist of three courses which will build on foundational knowledge of computing, and introduce pedagogical considerations to help teachers get the most out of their students and improve exam preparedness and results:
- Python Programming: working with data (CP233)
- Search and Sort Algorithms (CP230)
- Higher attainment in GCSE Computer Science (CP239)
Search and sort algorithms-
- Learn how algorithms manipulate data to achieve desired aims.
- Be able to hand-trace algorithms and debug them.
- Know the difference between different sort and search algorithms.
- Evaluate the suitability for different algorithms depending on the data to which they are applied.
Python Programming: working with data-
- Understand why modular programs are easier to understand, build and maintain
- Include user-written and built-in functions in programs, passing data between functions and main programs
- Learn about variable scope and how it affects subroutines and functions
- Understand the need for structured data, and manipulate simple data in Python lists
- Explain the differences between commonly used file formats, and manipulate their contents using Python code
- Develop confidence in leading your students as they develop their programming skills
Higher attainment in GCSE Computer Science-
- Develop a secure understanding of the assessment processes at GCSE level
- Gain experience of threshold concepts and how these can be firmly embedded in the curriculum to support student understanding
- Examine interleaving teaching and retrieval strategies that could be adopted within their own practice
- Develop a secure understanding of how to structure different exam style questions to fully support the needs of all students
This course is part of the Subject knowledge certificate
Subject knowledge certificate
Our professional development programme, Computer Science Accelerator, is designed to help you develop or refresh your subject knowledge and leads to a nationally recognised certificate.
Find out more